Friday, April 11, 2008

Summer job

So I've got this pretty awesome job down at Young Avenue Deli. In case you've never been there, it's this restaurant/bar down at Cooper Young. It's got really good food and a fun midtown atmosphere. And it's only about 5 minutes down the street. The only problem is, this summer I'll be staying out in Cordova at my parents house and it's a long drive from there. I only work two nights a work: Thursday and Sunday. Unless I pick up other peoples' shifts. So driving out to midtown two nights a week during the summer won't be too bad. But I was thinking of getting a second job closer to my house just for the summer. I used to work at Red Robin in collierville and I thought about working there again just during the summer. But after thinking about it, I don't think I really want to do that. My job now is so laid back and there aren't any stupid rules that I have to follow. I don't have a really gay uniform or anything. So I've just gotten so used to that, that I don't really want to go back to such a strict job. And also, I didn't make as much money at Red Robin, and there was a lot of bullshit that I had to deal with.

I know I'll probly get bored during the summer and a lot of my friends do live out here in midtown, so I could just pick up more shifts and work out here. But with gas being like 10 dollars a gallon it just seems so ridiculous to drive so far away everyday. Oh well, I know I'll probably end up doing that, so whatever. It was just something I was thinking about. Maybe I'll find some cool bar in Cordova to pick some shifts up at. Who knows.

6 comments:

Ashli said...

I love Young Avenue Deli, I use to go there all the time but not so much now. Which does not makes sense because it is right next to my apartment. I’ve been to Red Robin once, and it was a little too over friendly and family oriented for me. It was like a Chuckie Chesse without the ball pit, but the veggie burger I had there was really good.

Daniel Hernandez said...

i love that place so much their sweet potato fries rox my sox. but yeah i wish i had a job their how did you get it. but yeah i need to find a job for the summer and quick. im going job hunting tomorrow around the clarksville area. gross. i know. but yeah good luck finding a summer job

. said...

I really need to get a job this summer, too, and I have no idea what I’m going to do. I live in Cordova and commute to school every day, so I empathize with not finding that idea appealing - it’s no fun! But there really aren’t any cool places to work in Cordova that I know of. I’m already going to be commuting to school for a class during the june/july term, so the thought of having to drive very far to work somewhere is also very unappealing.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.

Unknown said...

I usually find work as an intern much better because they usually let interns slide with everything. Also, you can quit whenever you want. I interned at a clinic and this summer I'm looking to intern at a company. They pay you somewhere close 7/hr at some locations and you don't have to do much. Last job I just scanned stuff for people and took extra long lunch breaks. But they are strict about behavior and manners, dress code and things, after all it's still an internship.

Yeah you are right, the gas is indeed 10 dollars a gallon.

April said...

I have never been to that deli or Red Robin, so I can't really say anything bad or good about either one of them. I would say though if you don't have any bills or anything, I would just work my two days and give myself a break from all the crap. This has been one stressful year for me, and I'm sure it has been for you, so that's what I would do. Good luck figuring it out!