Thursday, April 3, 2008

Is Sunbathing good for you?

http://www.slate.com/id/2187566/

Well I just got back from tanning, so I found this article appropriate. During high school, I never went tanning. I was one of those girls who was totally against it. The only time I went tanning in high school was the week before prom. But coming to college things changed. My roommate works at Tan-N-Go. So that in itself is kind of tempting. Needless to say I started tanning on a regular basis. But now I like it. I like being tan. But I always have that little voice in the back of my head telling me I should cut back because I don't want to end up with skin cancer or something.

Well I found this article very interesting because it examined indoor tanning and sun exposure. It says that some exposure to the sun may actually be good for you. It says that the tanning has a degree of vitamin D that is important to have and you can get it from tanning for about 15 minutes two-three times a week. That's about what I do! So now I can justify my tanning with the fact that I am actually filling my body with important nutrients. It also examines the myths that tanning causes cancer. It shows studies of nonmelanoma and melanoma cancers and who often contracts the disease. There is a very small percent of people who seem to receive cancer from sun exposure. This really eases my mind. Because I really don't want to give up my tanning!

4 comments:

Brooxie said...

I know exactly how you feel! I love to tan and have been tanning since high school. It is really exciting to know that there is something good about it since most people are always saying you should not do it. I know that some people tan way too much and I think that is why people think it is so bad for you!

Christa said...

It is good that you keep getting to do something that you enjoy. Those things are important to people so we can keep our sanity. I am not a tanner but I would love to be tan. I just can never find the time to do it everyday. I did not know that it could be good for you because everything that I have heard about tanning was all bad.

April said...

I used to tan all the time. I mean I would tan year around. I went to this fight night thing not too long ago, and I got freaked out about tanning. I mean I always knew it was bad for you, but what I saw really bothered me. The ring girls that wear hardly any clothes looked gorgeous from far away, but I ran into them in the bathroom. Their skin was so nasty. It looked like leather, and there were dark spots all over their face. It was so nasty. Needless to say, I haven't tanned since.

Sarah said...

I am right there with you! I love to tan but I am constantly scared about getting cancer or having tons of wrinkles when I get older! I have not been tanning in a while but I am sure I will get back into it since summer is almost here and I do not want to be pale the first time out in a swim suit!